Mission: We provide a multi-week After-School Program to middle school girls in Greater Boston that is taught by college Mentors. Our mission is to teach girls and young women how to know their self-worth, and harness the power of media for positive change. Girls don’t need a makeover; the media does.
Mentor Role: You and your team of Mentors will use our standardized curriculum to teach girls how to:
- Understand how media reinforces gender stereotypes
- Measure their true self-worth and challenge media’s messaging
- Inspire girls to think critically about how social media influences girls’ attitudes about gender
- Become part of the solution by creating positive & empowering media content for girls
What you’ll get out of it:
- Help girls advocate for themselves and others they care about
- Develop leadership skills and practice in public speaking, curriculum implementation, and team dynamics
- Connect with other college women in the MEDIAGIRLS community
- A chance to join OUR LEADERSHIP COUNCIL
- Plan mentor trainings
- Recruit new mentors
- Take part in community events
- Be interviewed by local and national media
- Access to free workshops on topics to empower YOU (i.e. how to negotiate for pay, network for jobs, etc.)
- Undergraduate in Boston
- Two consecutive semester commitment
- Experience working with girls ages 11 to 14
- Passion for the mission
- Strong teaching, relationship building, and organizational skills
- High-energy with a sense of humor
- Spanish/ Portuguese/ Haitian Creole/ Cape Verdean Creole is a bonus!
Time commitment: Our 10-week classes are 1x/week for approximately 80 minutes in the afternoon from October – December, and again from February – May. Total time for the internship (including weekly team meetings, traveling to schools, and other tasks) is approximately 5-7 hours per week.
Training: Our two-day training will take place September 14th, 2019 at Simmons University
Our Mentor Team has been finalized through 2020. If you are interested in mentoring for Fall 2021, please fill out the application below!
Social Media Volunteers post empowering content on our Facebook, Twitter and Insta platforms one day a week. Click on app link above to learn more.