MEDIAGIRLS is a non-profit organization that boosts the self-worth of girls and young women by teaching them to critically analyze and reject sexist media messaging, know their true self worth, and harness the power of media for positive social change. In giving girls these tools, MEDIAGIRLS stands at the forefront of a girl-powered revolution to make over the media through challenging the status quo and creating empowering content for girls and young women everywhere.
MEDIAGIRLS PART 1
Part 1, eight or ten weeks, is taught once a week for approximately 60-80 minutes by dynamic female college mentors from Boston we recruit and train. Topics include:
- Challenge media’s impossible beauty standards
- Define their self-worth based on unique inner qualities
- Recognize how ads works to influence our attitudes
- Critique music videos based on messaging to girls
- Create PSAs to encourage all girls to speak up with media
- Write and post content about women who inspire them
MEDIAGIRLS PART 2
In Part 2, eight weeks, graduates of Part 1 create, launch and promote an eight-week #realmediagirl campaign using social media that aims to empower girls on a topic of their choice. Past topics include anti-bullying, being real on social media, and speaking up for one’s beliefs.
- Work with classmates to come up with #realmediagirl campaign topic
- Plan a social-media campaign, and create a short YouTube trailer to promote it
- Come up with a PR plan to get the word out
- Reflect on the emotional risks and rewards of being part of a movement
- Share the campaign with members of the school and local community